Skip to main content

Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: The jokes on us - Stand Up for Mental Health

It was advertised on abc2 last night and what caught my eye was the comic I have seen performing last year..if I see the as I will post details online, perhaps only on in Victoria?

That might be it. I live in NSW, so I guess I only get the Sydney guide.

Sorry I can't be of more help!

Hobbit

I think it's fine to joke about Mental illness,There's a difference between this vs not taking mental illness seriously.
On the other hand,I don't think it's ever ok for others to make derogatory jokes about people with mental illness.

That said,history shows these attempts (although well meaning) are ineffective at reducing stigma.<br>They don't get to the rooot cause of why some people stigmatise which is fear,ignorance and afraid of themselves being seen as abnormal,mental etc and then losing friends etc.<br>These attempts achieve MAY? achieve little but stigma will continue as long as the media keep reporting on mentally ill in ways to induce fear instead of compassion,as long as doctors themselves stigmatise or distance themselves socially from people with severe mental illness,and as long as people still get discriminated in the workplace or are told they arn't capable or allowed for certain industries due to prior mental illness and as long as lawyers still use mental illness to " insinuate" in courts that certain mums or dads can't look after their kids,or people with Schizophrenia for example arn't believed and said their opinions and judgments etc are from delusion.<br>Basically I mean as long as Exposure of a person/s mental illness is still allowed to be used as a weapon then stigma will continue because people will keep trying to make themselves look normal and having it together etc for fear,if that makes sense.

Good news..Opening Shot-Crack Up abc2, 9.30pm Monday December 1st

Reviewed in today's Victorian Green Guide in The Age, pg 14..

Next Monday folks..or watch it on iview which is available all over Australia after Monday night!!

Hi  @ivana , Thanks for your insights. I really do agree with you, above all, the thing we need to combat is the stigma that surrounds mental illness, and I also agree that, yes the media may play a big part, but it also filters down to workplaces, secotrs and even health professionals.

Your last comment really does make sense to me - because of stigma, people certainly feel they have to 'look normal and have it all together'....all for fear that they will not be accepted in society. This is very concerning.

Hobbit.

Comedy has kept me alive for I was 7 and listened tpo my first Derek and Cllive tape . 

I myself am constantly looking for the funny side to express the darkness. 

I am a fruit loop 

I am proud 

and full of sugar.

Comedy is the great equaliser. If we can laugh at something we do'nt have to be afraid of it.

My friends crack jokes about my health. I'm glad. Cos as people who love me they are hurt by my illness too. Let them see the humour.

A new poster for peer support workers-

YOU DO'NT HAVE TO BE CRAZY TO WORK HERE BUT.......................

oH YEAH, YOU DO!

Hope endures

Rick

Hi im new to all this and have not yet told anyone who I work with they just think im moody and have a strange way of looking at the world.  But think if we're going to make it better for ourselves and others humor is not a bad idea. I have ptsd and depression and wear a mask so as to say I put on a front to the outside world.  But would like to be myself as I think I could function better over time my phsyc thinks I cover up to much .but scared what people think so if could make light of minor things that could help. 

"A new poster for peer support workers-

YOU DO'NT HAVE TO BE CRAZY TO WORK HERE BUT.......................

oH YEAH, YOU DO!"

Yep.  And in my role as a consumer consultant when explaining my role I will say "I was hired because of my mental illness, how cool is that!  Mind you I'm stuffed if they made the wrong diagnosis."  In the right environment I'm also prone to winking and saying I might be the one with MI but I am definately not the craziest person on staff.  

Hi Everyone,

Anyone find out about the documentary on StandUp for mental health?

I couldn't find anything on it, but I loved @Alessandra1992 idea about having a discussion about it.

Anyone catch it? Or know how to get a hold of it?

CB

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance