Skip to main content

Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

CherryBomb
Senior Contributor

The jokes on us - Stand Up for Mental Health

Is it ok for a person with lived experience to joke about their MI?

Stand up for Mental Health is a project that teaches people with MI stand-up comedy. The aim of this is to decrease stigma through having people with lived experience share the stories about MI in a light hearted way.

It originated in Canada and has recently made it's way onto our shores a couple of years back and it sparked some controversy. Some suggest that it's not ok to laugh at serious matters, while others argue that it helps people better understand MI.

Watch the video below and share your thoughts.

27 REPLIES 27

Re: The jokes on us - Stand Up for Mental Health

I think that there are a lot of people who are going to be terribly offended by it.  

Personally I think any project that gives people skills is beneficial and conversations can be started by listening to the comedy.  I make jokes at my 'own expense' all the time but often they are making ME feel more at ease.  Comedy like art makes it possible for us to say things that might otherwise be difficult to broach.

I went to see Stand Up at Mental Health Week last year in Melbourne, it was funny, honest and inspired! Would go and see it anytime it happens again in Melbourne. I know quite a few of the comics have continued to get gigs..fantastic!!

@JT I agree with you. I also makes jokes at my expense - it helps me deal with my own anxiety by taking that nervous edge off in social interactions. I think other people also feel more at ease too, but I can also see how joking around can offend some people.

I think humour, like politics, can be deeply personal and subjective.

I think it is all about good taste-just like rascist and sexist jokes can be-some can be offensive others apprppriate. Its all about suitable material

Hi,

I saw a video of these guys in action a couple of months back, and then a couple of them live. It was excellent.

In fact the woman was particularly brilliant. I wish I could remember her joke well, because I reckon it would go viral on youtube. It was about trying to find employment that she was suited for, and she said she knew nothing about economics but thought she'd go for Federal Treasurer. I really wish I could remember it. If it comes back to me I'll post it.

Cheers,

Krisitn

And some people are deeply passionate about both!  

I deliver education to peers and staff, jokes are a fantastic way to open the group and relax them or to defuse an aggrivated conversation.  There is nothing more uncomfortable than standing at the front of a group staring at you like you're an alien being because of what ever reason.  A joke about getting a better conversation out of my internal voices than them can be a make or break one liner Smiley Tongue

Very Interesting topic,

I have no issues with someone with MI making jokes regarding issues around and involved with having MI,

I personally like to joke to my family when they drop the oh i'm just a little bit crazy - my response straight off the cuff, no your not i am, i even have certification that i am the crazy one.

If i was going to joke about MI tho i only stay to my own illness, i don't make any jokes regarding the other sorts of illness, example i don't say anything regarding schizophrenia or ptsd or ocd

I don't personally suffer from any of those so don't feel comfortable making a joke regarding it, however if say someone with schizophrenia or affective makes jokes about that then i am fine with it, as they are relating to themselves and thier illness, if they were to joke about bipolar i depending on the joke would be ok with it as well, but i am quite the joker myself so if there is a way to take the humour path i tend to go that way,

awkward situation i am the dill who will make a joke about me to lighten the mood.

I can see where some might have an issue with it, if they are just starting there journey of healing or there journey is particularly difficult i can see how it might affect them negatively

Hi all, on abc2 they are showing the documentary on StandUp for mental health..I am not sure when, possibly tonight or next week..definitely on abc2! Moderators..can you please post the time and day?
Then we can all watch it if interested and have a laugh or a discussion post program!!

Hi @Alessandra1992 , I had a quick look at the guide and didn't see anything, although I will get the guys to keep looking, hence the tags @NikNik and @CherryBomb !!

PS: I was going to post in here tonight. I think it's great to have a laugh!! I have personally had my own lived experiences (as we all have) which have been recurring a little lately, and what I personally find is having a good laugh even in the face of adversity, is sometimes the best therapy!!

I saw a funny little slogan the other day - "before you diagnose yourself with depression or self esteem problems, first make sure you are not surrounded by idiots". Well...it made me laugh!!

I hope you are all going well by the way!!

Hobbit

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance