Skip to main content

Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

Appleblossom
Community Elder

Understanding Psychosis - British Psychological Society

I am not quite finished with this file, but the treatment of the topic isup to date, comprehensive and good for the lay reader.

http://rep03_understanding _psychosis

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Understanding Psychosis - British Psychological Society

hello @Appleblossom

when i click on the link i get the message page wont display

www.bps.org.uk/system/files/Public%20files/rep03_understanding_psychosis.pdf

That page had a hypertext link that would have gotten you there with a couple of clicks but

.. hope this is better.

Maybe its just me suffering from a dose of confirmation bias, but I am impressed with it.

It has sections on

"The way we make sense of the world: the psychology of psychosis."

Making formulations: which are a shared view of of the problems and the world of the person and therapist.

Accepts different frameworks of spirituality and the interaction with psychosis.

Supports the "Hearing Voices Network"

Maintains that there is a link between social deprivation, disadvantage and schizophrenia. (moreso than genetics)

Discusses epigenetcs for those who have not heard of it before.

I feel validated as these were all issues I raised in the early period of my time on the forum.

So in all, it humanises and reccomends approaches to work with the experience, rather than slap on a diagnosis, hand out a pill, and collect govt monies sitting in an office without the mh worker stretching themselves to actively engage client and earn their salaries. 

Further, It is a little more thorough and goes a little deeper, than just "being nice", though that can be a start towards healing.

Thanks for the link. I agree. A good read

They also suggest psychotherapy and CBT can work with those with a diagnosis of schizophrenia.

Narrative and Family therapy and Voice Dialoguing .. are also recommended. tho funding is the big issue.

It is heartening that serious MI which has often been thought untreatable .. may have some better outcomes ..for people.

@Appleblossomthank you for the pdf link.

What I find ironic is, it's fine to attend church and believe in an unseen unproven humanlike figure, apparently existing somewhere beyond our senses. But to experience personal similar phenomena, best to take some pills and spend thousands of dollars fixing yourself.

Probably a somewhat controversial observation, but nonetheless an accurate if simplistic one.

Irony accuracy and simplicity all have a place in life...  depends how they are defined.

Also things we do not completely understand and will 

Did you look into the paper by the BPS @Former-Member ?

You have a great sense of humour in other threads.

. I was impressed that they did not oversimplify psychosis or trauma.

@Appleblossom  Hello there 🙂     Yes i most certainly did. i saved the PDF actually.  My "simplistic" description was towards my comment not the content of the pdf, sorry did not consider that possible ambiguity.  Oops.

I enjoyed the pdf. i've book marked it about 2/3 of the way through it.  Some of the quotes are very insightful I thought.

and yes, you will probably notice a dichotomy of facets in my posts. I tend to go from deep philiosophical observation to completely zany; subject dependent 🙂 .   At least that way life from my point is never boring 😛

Glad it helped .. No worries ..lol @Former-Member

I noticed .. personality flips 

I love it .. zany is beautiful

Smiley Happy

I used to be too serious

Now life is simpler for me .. and I have found things that tickle my fancy Smiley Happy

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance