Skip to main content

Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

Pebbles
Senior Contributor

A Daily Dose of Mindfulness

Hi Everyone.

I'm a reIatively new moderator, this thread is a good way of me being able to say hi to you, introduce myself and also reach out to the abundance of knowledge in the community. I’ve recently decided that I would like to engage in mindfulness. I want some of this good stuff I hear that can come with it such as raising self-awareness and increasing a sense of inner calmness. Seeing it is new for me I was interested in hearing other people’s experiences of mindfulness. I’m finding it helpful to use the Smiling Mind app to help me find my way. I’m curious in finding more to add to my list or other ways in engaging in the practice. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Pebbles.

51 REPLIES 51

Re: A Daily Dose of Mindfulness

I dont do digital mindfulness... long in tooth lol

Be present with awareness at the kitchen sink .. to the bubbles, the messes, to the repetitive simple task .. including physical sensations and thoughts.

Many have dishwashers these days .. so they ought probably choose a practical regular daily task that suits them.

Yes interesting thing "mindfulness" told me 30 years ago and I would have said bloody hippy !, I still coming to terms with it and understand it will be a while before I'm called guru, its hard work at times, but if I dont get into it I will slip into dirty discomfort very quickly...breath deep and lisen to your hart 🙂 

Thanks for your replies @Appleblossom and @Matt12

Very good points being highlighted here, I think for me focusing my awareness on the present moment is requiring more practise and that's why I like the mindfulness app as the voice prompts and music help remind me to centre myself again.

I like the idea of choosing a daily task and practising mindfulness with that. Sounds like a challange 🙂 Listening to your heart, that feesl so comforting, like a giving yourself a big hug!

Let the practise begin 🙂

I find this topic very “mindful” I am new to the concept and have been advised without practice I will revert back to the old ways, I have no option but to try and happy to do so……..need tips. Unhooking yourself into clean discomfort is a challenge to achieving self-acceptance.

Thanks for your support J

I think there is an aspect of "paying attention" that is important.

with busy lives, busy minds .. or not .. there are some choices about where we irect our attention .. maybe not all the time .. but some of the time

I agree @Appleblossom

paying attention to the now.  Like this morning when i was at the beach sitting on a rock i listened to the waves, felt my hair move with the breeze and just looked out to the horizon and see how beautiful it is where I live.

Hi all, would like to shear something about my past. I have been to many interviews and worn more hats than a politician, my point is that as BSA I was always looking for an angle, a few years ago I came across a study that suggested at active listening losers weight as you are so concentrated on listening you burn fat.

So I went into interviews and when the “what is your weakness question popped up “ I moved straight to listening skills as it needs constant work, smash hit every time, better than the usual stuff.

What the study failed to highlight was the mindfulness aspect as without it you can’t hear !!

Hi @Matt12
Can you clarify what BSA means?
Thanks 🙂
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance