Skip to main content

Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Trauma and Recovery// Blue Knot Foundation // Tues 23rd February 2021, 8:00-9:00PM AEDT

For all those members of the SANE Community following along, feel free to post to introduce yourself 🙂 

Let’s get started with our first question for @Cathyblueknot

Question 1: There are lots of different types of trauma events, triggers and factors that contribute to how trauma affects our lives. How do we know what traumatic events will impact us?

Re: Topic Tuesday // Trauma and Recovery// Blue Knot Foundation // Tues 23rd February 2021, 8:00-9:00PM AEDT

Hi again @Cathyblueknot @Daisydreamer @Former-Member 

Hi everyone.

Recovery - Yes very important.

Adge

Question 1: There are lots of different types of trauma events, triggers and factors that contribute to how trauma affects our lives. How do we know what traumatic events will impact us?

It’s not so much about thinking about what traumatic events impact us. It is about becoming aware of how we are in the present in terms of our wellbeing, mental and physical health. It is about understanding trauma and the stress response, and understanding how trauma repeatedly activates this response, often meaning that the person stays in an agitated or shut down state or moves between them.

The stress or survival response – fight, flight and freeze enables us to respond to daily stress. When the stress becomes more pervasive and overwhelms the person as happens with trauma, the person can find it hard to get back to a state of calm. Even when a person is shut down their nervous system may still be on overdrive. This helps to explain why the person reacts to triggers, or finds it hard to manage their strong emotions, and fluctuating levels of arousal. It is about understanding ourselves and that these are normal responses to abnormal events i.e. trauma

Thanks @Daisydreamer @Former-Member @Cathyblueknot 

As explained on the carers side, I am diagnosed with complex ptsd, resulting from complex trauma.

I am feeling pretty fragile tonight, but will follow along as best I can. If I have to leave, I will come back and read at another time.

Emelia

Thanks @Daisydreamer  my little ones just down but there's a storm and the dogs going crazy so might not last long 😭 been a rough day

hi i can't get into the forum can u please email me the link to get in? thank u cina 

Hi @Emelia8 and @destructive, 100% okay if you need to step away! Your wellbeing is the most important thing here, the conversation will still be here for another day if you want to check Cathy's answers at a later time Heart

you ARE in it ... yeah ... i was a bit confused at first too ... lol

I was diagnosed with Complex PTSD & complex trauma.

All of my siblings have trauma (I am the oldest of 5) - Yet they do not wish to recognise their trauma.

I'm the only one (of 5) who has been formally diagnosed with complex ptsd.

Adge

I never feel like the psych's understand how the seemingly little things all link up to make me feel unsafe and unsupported etc. It has caused me great problems because I don't/ won't fit their image of 'getting better'. 

Even here, right now, I am too concerned ab out how my questions would be recieved and who I might upset to ask what I really want to know. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance