Skip to main content

Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday// Speak Up: The Power in Using Your Voice // Tuesday 30th January 2024 5:30-7PM AEDT

That is so valid, it can be really nerve wracking expressing our thoughts and needs to others - I think we may touch on this in a few questions time! @Quilly 

But I just wanted to say that it's really great that you are expressing your needs towards others, I think that is a great first step and very challenging to do

Re: Topic Tuesday// Speak Up: The Power in Using Your Voice // Tuesday 30th January 2024 5:30-7PM AEDT

Nice! 😁 this sounds safer

@Quilly It can so be anxiety inducing waiting for the response. This is something that I defiantly feel very physically! Keeping in check with my body is a big help in this type situation for sure! 

I like to think about what to say before I say something and then sometimes it is too late @oscbeep 

I am copying this post! So very helpful

Thank you for bringing this topic to the forum! I strongly believe in self-advocacy as well as the importance of community advocacy. I have read somewhere (I think from an anti-harassment organisation called HeartMob) that there are statistics that prove that defending and advocating for yourself improves mental health - even more so if the community supports the self-advocacy. ❤️

@Patchworks I love that you mentioned Practice! I treat assertiveness as a practice and not just something that I am. I will always be able to keep growing and evolving how I engage, and I think this is a very special thing! 

I feel that @Shaz51! It can be so tough sometimes to come up with an articulate response in the moment. 

What can we do to minimize the burden we impose on others when we do need to express needs that are contrary to what they want?

I don't have much confidence in speaking up. I struggle to express myself and just say yes or no. I try and do it sometimes but end up shutting myself down

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance