Skip to main content

Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Lauz
Senior Contributor

Topic Tuesday // Creating and maintaining social connections // Tues 20 Nov, 7pm AEDT

LE Topic Tuesday banner.jpg

This topic has come to us as a result from the poll we put out to you, the community. For this Topic Tuesday event will have a special guest from our Peer Ambassador program @jess_27 to share insights from their own lived experience, covering the postitive effects of social connection, managing the challenges of some negatives and idea sharing on tips and strategies to approach maintaining healthy social connections in your life. 

Want to receive an email reminder on the night? Hit the 'Support' button below.

I'm new here - what is Topic Tuesday?

Topic Tuesday runs from 7pm - 9pm AEST monthly. Each month we focus on a different topic, with the session facilitated by a Community Manager or Moderator. Sometimes Topic Tuesday will feature a special guest, who is an expert in the topic.

The first post of the thread (this one) will give you an idea of what the topic is and what will be covered.

How do I get involved?

Topic Tuesday takes place right here! It's text based, so no software is needed. During the session, to keep up with the latest posts hit the 'refresh' button on your browser for the latest posts (it doesn't automatically update). Keep an eye for page numbers at the top & bottom of the page, and jump to the highest page number for the most recent post.

Throughout the session, the facilitator will put questions out for you to answer, usually asking for your own experience on the topic. To contribute to the session, just hit the 'reply' button and share your thoughts. No answers are right or wrong and everyone is welcome to get involved.

If you have any questions about how to use the Forums, check out our Guides

129 REPLIES 129

Re: Topic Tuesday // Creating and maintaining social connections // Tues 20 Nov, 7pm AEDT

Hi everyone and a warm welcome to those that wanted a reminder of tonight’s event! @Coffeenunicorns @recovery @CheerBear @BlueBay @utopia @Teej @Former-Member @TAB @Mulgajane @Pinky @Former-Member @Adge @greenpea @Sharman @MoonGal @Shaz51 @Zoe7 @frog @Mazarita

Tonight’s Topic Tuesday is one that you, the forum members, voted to discuss and we do see a lot of discussion around this topic throughout the forum. Creating and maintaining social connections when you are working through some mental health challenges is going to be really interesting to explore. I am really excited to welcome our special Guest @jess_27 ! 

Jess is one of SANE’s Peer Ambassadors and also a speaker through batyr. They are a Psychology Honours student and hope to pursue a career in Social Work. @jess_27 loves playing sport and creative writing and their best friend is their greyhound named Holly. Jess has past experience of life with Anorexia Nervosa. Jess currently lives with Bipolar 1, C-PTSD and Anxiety. We are really lucky to have her sharing with us tonight.

For those that haven’t been involved in a Topic Tuesday before, @jess_27 will be raising some questions for you to consider. There’ll be around 10-15 minutes for everyone to respond to each question. This is a forum for peer support and discussion so don’t hesitate to jump in and get involved by answering or adding to the discussion! 

Re: Topic Tuesday // Creating and maintaining social connections // Tues 20 Nov, 7pm AEDT

Hi everyone! 

Thanks so much @Lauz for that warm welcome. 🙂 

I'm really looking forward to getting to know you folks and hopefully having a great discussion. 

I'll wait for a few people to join then I will post my first question. 

Hi @Lauz and welcome @jess_27 I am really interested in this topic tonight - something I have great difficulty with.

Hi @Lauz@jess_27

In hospital but I’m looking forward to been part of this tonight. 

Hey @Zoe7! Thanks for joining! 

Glad to have you! We should be getting started soon. 🙂

Hi everyone I am looking forward to this topic thank you 🙂

Welcome everyone! 
Before each question today I'm going to tell you a little about myself to give it context. Here we go! 

My experience with mental illness has often involved me isolating myself from others or creating tension in my relationships through heightened aggression and irritability. This often makes me feel lonely and guilty. But also resentful at the same time. In times like this I reflect on how I have communicated with others and realise that I have expressed myself through anger when really what I was feeling was hurt or fear. So I explain this to my loved ones and apologise.

How do you repair and communicate with your loved ones about your mental illness?

Welcome @BlueBay @greenpea ! 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance