Skip to main content

Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Carers Week Live Chat // What do you wish you knew when you were a new 'carer' // LIVE NOW!

Hi everyone. I think the hardest thing I had to learn was acceptance. Accepting my loved one had an illness and that it would take time for recovery.

Re: Carers Week Live Chat // What do you wish you knew when you were a new 'carer' // LIVE NOW!

Thanks @Kisia so much for sharing this with us.  I'm only a relatively new carer and still have a long road ahead of me.  Being able to chat with others who have long standing experience helps a lot.  My new mantra "I must do self-care".  I am going to make sure that I continue to build it into my life - regardless of being a carer.  

I also find having a soak in Epsom salts in the bath for a while is relaxing 

I totally agree with the acceptance part.  Acceptance doesn't come easy, but when you finally accept that it is what it is and that the individual is unwell and not purposely being difficult, nasty, erratic, oppositional, etc. it makes the world of difference.  

welcome @Former-Member and yep acceptance is a real hard part of it all. 

And @Janna yay!!! Thats an awesome focus! 

Acceptance is a massive topic in itself - like accepting the illness, what it means for your life, what it means for their life, and accepting the changes that have happened. We talk about a thing called "ambigious loss and grief" we dont have time to talk about it now but definatly worth looking up and you can always contact us here in wa helpingminds to chat about it if you have questions. 

final thing to everyone is first step of self-care, getting info, and all of that was simply beign on this forum... these things dont have to be big as each step counts. So congratulate yourself and recognise the importance of simply being on this forum, learning more, sharing with people. Be proud of yourselves 🙂

Hi       i totally agree with you

In the name of self-care I'm off now to feed myself, have a shower, get my essential oils happening and relax.  Thanks again @Kisia.  This is my first live chat and I've really enjoyed it.  All the best to you and keep up the great work ... and to everyone else as well. ❤️

ThankyouNT.jpg

Well thats a wrap everyone!

Thank you all for sharing your tips and experiences.

A HUGE thank you to @Kisia for your time, generosity and wisdom.

Lets all go and practice some self care now 🙂 REAADDDYYY GO!

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance