Skip to main content

Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Kittycorn
Casual Contributor

Finally had my first session with a psychologist

After my first psych appointment Iv been diagnosed with mild social anxiety and depression.

I feel really judged and like he thought I was a complete weirdo even though that's probably my social anxiety talking. I feel like something is completely wrong with me that I don't realise and no one wants to tell me. Does anyone else think that way?

We spoke about cbt but I have to wait to be transferred to a closer psychologist to have another session. Some of what we spoke about really makes sense and sounds like it will help like expanding my comfort circle which I'm already trying to think of ways to do so.

i don't know if seeing a psychologist will help cause I felt really judged and embarrassed after my first session. Does it get easier?  

1 REPLY 1

Re: Finally had my first session with a psychologist

Hi @Kittycorn 

I completely understand feeling that way in your first session. I myself have been diagnosed with PTSD and suffer with anxiety and depression. Opening up to a complete stranger where you can't read their facial expressions can easily make you feel like everything you say is being judged. The psych is there to listen and help but that doesn't mean you have to feel comfortable with them right away nor should you expect to as this can place extra stress on your anxiety. 

I found that once I started to talk about my issues it became easier over time so I would definitely recommend giving it some time. Bare minimum you can learn some coping techniques to help when the social anxiety flares up.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance