Skip to main content

Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Deiann79
Casual Contributor

please help, my boy is having a FIRST EPISODE PSYCHOSIS?

Hello all. im new to the site, first ever post only because i feel utterly drained and desperate. My baby boy , 17 has currently been diagnosed as having his first episode psychosis. Bought on by an experimental 'taste' of LSD (we think).

Because this is the 7th week of him being in the psychosis, (anxious, hallucinating, frightened of things that are not real) they say that he may have an underlining condition of bi-polar, or schizophrenia.

Wouldnt i have picked up on the signs prior to this diagnosis? I dont want to believe that my once bubbly, outgoing confident child is now a schizophrenic!? has anyone lived with this type of situation? I am so so worried about his future....especially when i am gone. can anyone relate to my situation?

10 REPLIES 10

Re: please help, my boy is having a FIRST EPISODE PSYCHOSIS?

Welcome @Deiann79 Smiley Happy

It must be heart wrenching to witness your son going through this Smiley Sad

It's very early days, although it must feel like a lifetime for you.

There is some evidence to suggest that drug use can trigger an underlying mental illness for some, in particular the use of marijuana has been linked to drug induced psychosis, I believe amphetamines can also cause a similar reaction.

Perhaps you would like to talk about this, why not ring the Sane helpline tomorrow on;

1800 18 7263

Here's what I found on the subject from Sane's fact sheet, which repeats what you are saying;

'Use of Cannabis can cause a condition called Drug-induced psychosis. This usually passes after a few days. However, if someone has a predisposition to a psychotic illness, cannabis may trigger the first episode of an ongoing condition such as Schizophrenia. There is increasing evidence that regular cannabis use precedes and even causes higher rates of psychotic illness. At the same time, many people with Schizophrenia have not used cannabis.'

@Moses @Rover @Simma @Madat like yourself have all had a family member experience drug induced psychosis, please feel free to reach out to them for a chat.

Best wishes

Doctors are way too quick to diagnose - they just seem to want to give things a name, brand you with it and then pump you full of chemicals.  My suggestion is tell him to stay away from the drugs (easier said than done).  LSD can stay in your system for years and keep rearing its weird head from time to time.  Get your gorgeous boy to clean eat and clean drink, no ciggies or pot and stay in a calm environment away from outside influences.  Hopefully his brain will unmuddle - which it can and does.  Good luck with your little man - mine did the same - he has come good - still has a bit of paranoia from time-to-time but I am also trying to get him to go to counselling to work on this.  My son also can't store zinc in his system so he takes a zinc tablet every second day which has also moderated his extreme behaviour (and I am the same).

Hi @Deiann79

How are you today? I just wanted to emphasise what @Jennifer64 has said, that brains can and do unmuddle. Although it's frightening to see someone we love experience the confusion of psychosis, experiencing a single episode doesn't mean that your son will develop schizophrenia or that this will be ongoing. What is really important and encouraging is that he is getting treatment and support, which gives him the best chance of a good recovery.

Do you have friends and family you can talk to about what's happening? Please keep sharing your story here as well. As karma mentioned, there are other members who have been through similar experiences.

thankyou so much for your help. I am so exhausted. My beautiful boy is slowly coming back to us. I have a very supportive family and his has touched many peoples lives, so extended family is phenomenal. Still...I am all alone with my thoughts at night, and i still get quiet emotional. I feel somewhat responsible for maybe not doing enough? I know its a ridiculous concept, but- i am his Ma afterall. Its very disheartening walking away from him,, and leaving him in the psychiatric facility. I know its whats best.

I know its gonna be a bit of a long journey, helping to his unmuddle his brain. Poor little bugger is at a stage where hes trying to decipher everything in the Universe...names-faces-numbers..etc. But i am very grateful to see him smile again. His face was blank for a good 6 weeks, and the perplexed look has almost vanished.

I would just like to say, that i have found the site very very comforting. I now know i am not alone, and i appreciate everyones time to make my journey feel that little bit less daunting.

ThankYou.

From the bottom of my heart.

That's great news about your son Deiann! I'm really happy for you! There is a program in Canberra being run by the Ted Noffs Foundation for addicts and they are having an excellent outcome with all their clients. It's really great to see. Please don't beat yourself up about this - it has NOTHING to do with you - it who ur young bloke has been hanging out with. I did exactly the same thing as you and it took me a good few months until I rang my counsellor and had a chat to her. DON'T under any circumstances wear this journey alone - I tried to do that - it just doesn't work. Speak to your counsellor - find one that you really connect with - and they will hep you quickly see that it has nothing to do with you. Please be kind to yourself and seek advice and assistance and good mates - they always prop you up xx

hello all.

just an update. our beautiful boy is  home with us and he is almost back to his old self....but better.

He has become more open and honest about his experiences with narcotics...and the lifestyle that he was living leading up to the psychosis.

He is a little reluctant to get back into "the real world". He doesn't enjoy going into town, but ive asked him to step out of his comfort zone by offering a 10 minute trip to the shop and back once every 2 days.

Is this a bad idea? I mean, i don't want him to be stuck in the house all the time. He was in hospital for 10 weeks in all, and im just thinking that too much stimuli could overwhelm him.

Once again, id like to say how much i appreciate the feedback. This journey has been rough, and the SANE forums have been very beneficial for our situation.

I am very fortunate to have a very supportive and loving circle of family and friends.  And they are very understanding about my little mates anxiety, so they often venture around home in small groups of usually 3 to say hello to him, and let him and I know that they are always there for us.

Any advice about the transition from a long hospital stay...and coming back to reality , would be great. I just wish i knew what he was feeling, so that i could help him a little better...

Thankyou. 

Dee

Hey DeeAnn

That's FABULOUS news about ur young bloke - i'm genuinely happy for you. I think it will be good for ur son to just hang around the house at the moment whilst his brain conpletes its detox and unscrambling. He is a smart lad - he knows if he goes near the shops he might run into his drug-addled buddies and drug buddies being drug buddies always want u to be like them. So kudos to him for realising. If he wants to talk about it - let him broach the subject. He will tell u things as the weeka n months wear on.
If ang if his drug buddies cone over - be really stand-offish to them n let them know they aren't welcome at yr house again. Best of luck and pkease keep us all updated. Ince again i am really happy for u guys xx

Hi Friends.

Wonderful news. Our boy decided to go to church last night....ON HIS OWN! Its a sure sign he is feeling better. He is seeking out all of his old Christian buddies, and meeting new kids the same age as he is. He had been seeing his counsellor regularly, and they have even lowered his dosage of the medication he is on.

It seems too good to be true, but i think that he has really learnt a valuable lesson from all of this.

I mean...him and I are getting on better than we have ever, and he is spending a lot of awesome time with his younger siblings, who themselves are so much happier because of his calm demeanour.

Maybe this awful thing had to happen, to help him appreciate how valuable a sane, drug less mind really is.

I hope i can help others who are in the same situation i was (and still am) in. 

And once again, not not the last time im sure, id like to say a big THANKYOU to all who have helped me on the site. 

Forever grateful.

Dee

Hi @Deiann79,

I'm so happy to hear the wonderful news! It is fantastic that your son is wanting to join in church again and is seeking out all of his Christian friends.  Also great that this has made his relationships with you and his siblings even stronger!

Glad to hear that you have found the forums helpful during an incredibly stressful and difficult time. You would have much to share with others experiencing similar situations to yourself.

Take care Smiley Happy

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance