Skip to main content

Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

suzanne
Senior Contributor

What sort of planning have you done for old age?

SANE is in the news at the moment for releasing a report on healthy aging with a mental illness. You can see an article here.  It's caused a few heated comments from people who feel as if their challenges, or those of a loved one, are being misunderstood or under-estimated.  The financial difficulties of planning for old age on benefits is one key point here that is a genuine concern. 

My reading is that the report is looking more widely at aging.  It's focusing on how physical health, housing and support can be shaped by our mental health in old age.  Here's one quote:

"We've spoken with older people living with mental illness and while their experiences vary widely, declining physical health, an uncertain housing future and isolation are common concerns".

Of course these are also the concerns of all people facing their own aging or that of a loved one.  But the issues are likely to be compounded for those affected by MI over a long period.

It's a really tough subject that a lot of us choose to look away from because it can be a little frightening.  But I thought it worth asking here:

As a carer, have you thought about it?  Prepared in anyway?  Have any advice for those of us still burying our heads in the sand? 

6 REPLIES 6

Re: What sort of planning have you done for old age?

What I am concerned about is the NDIS and its cutoff at 64..
We are an ageing population and many carers worry about what will happen to their loved ones as they get older..
No easy answers either as for some people, mental health will fluctuate, incomes can be severely limited so how will we as a community take care of each other?
Housing is in short supply, community connection may be difficult to build and maintain so these strategies for ageing do need to be prioritised..

I agree @Alessandra1992.  And as much as there are no easy answers to any of the points you raised, it's got to be a step forward that they are being brought into public discussion.  I hope that it will help policy makers acknowledge the impact of MI on an individuals ability to plan and fund their own retirement.

Has anyone signed up for life insurance ? 

My husband smoker  & MI

Me; MI 

I agree @Alessandra1992,

I have wondered many times about all your questions you have brought up  and there is no easy answer

Hello @suzanne, @PeppiPatty

Hi @PeppiPatty and @Shaz51, this is an old thread you've resusitated!  Still as relevant though as it's so tempting to stick our heads in the sand and not prepare in some way.  

Hi @suzanne, @PeppiPatty

I forgot to mention -- puting money away in a term deposit is one idea

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance