Skip to main content

Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Experiences around Study and Mental Health: What have you learnt?

@Incognito thanks for your words, it's really encouraging to hear other thoughts x

Hi @tyme 

Study and mental health (as opposed to mental ill-health) need not to be mutually exclusive.

I am close to completing my second Master Degree, and have found my studies in mental health and counselling personally and professionally rewarding. For the former, it has been great to meet new people who share my values, whereas for the latter, it has maintained my mental acuity and will hopefully set me on the path to a new career.

That said, I occasionally need to remind myself to take a well-earned break and to stop reaching for the stars with every assignment. Apart from this bit of self-discipline, I consider myself very fortunate to be afforded the opportunity to study and to keep learning.  

Hey @ENKELI

Try signing up with disability services if your institution has it

Of not maybe part time could be doable. I did that. My full time job is actually shift based so I don't do 9-5. I have managed to be fortunate enough to get a good uni timetable but I'll need to wait and see

It's definitely doable but just requires out of the box thinking

And also, in terms of WHAT to study well generally anything is good in this day and age. Guess it just depends how you align it with your work

Tafe could have good options for admin or accounting as well

@ENKELI I think everyone can loose interest in things especially with study and it can be hard to stay on track with a course when perhaps the subject matter is really boring or doesn'nt really interest you or even how a course is taught by the teacher can all have a major impact on how well you go with study.

I am definately not someone who likes a teacher who does loads of powerpoints and just speaks to the class, cause thats not how I learn. I need time to be able to make notes and highlight important parts to the content, so I need that documentation in front of me. Not just listening to it from a teacher in the room.

This for me is the first TAFE course that I have had taught this way without us having a booklet or guide book about the subject in front of me and I know personally I am not the only student struggling from this way of teaching. 

Luckily a lot of the subjects I have completed in other courses previously or have some industry based knowledge in so that has helped but some subjects I will have no idea and expect some of the other students to drop out of the course as it gets more indepth.

But good on you for atleast giving uni a go, I have someone else do the same thing and it wasnt for her either so you def arent alone 🙂

I agree with @Incognito about speaking to the Disability Unit. I know where I am they have like a set day where students can come into the library at a set time and get help from teachers on their studies, also group online chat rooms as digital tafe has the same set up. 

A lot of TAFE learning has digital help and reference resources. Also try and exchange emails and phone numbers with other students where if you get stuck you can reach out and go hey. most people will are more than willing to help.

It is easy to get off track so maybe you could develop a plan to check in with maybe a teacher, friend or student counsellor to keep you focused and accountable with your study goal or they may suggest something that more aligns to enhance your skill set and build upon these skills. 

Places like Linked in and other organisations also have some great resources and free online courses that might align with your goal. 

I usually look for things that have some accreditation to what I am learning so I can add these things to my resume or atleast say in your goal maybe align with accounting or do they have like an accounting board of Australia representation or like NDIS you have to be recognised assessments to gain membership etc.

@HelloKitty1981 thanks for your insights. I had an information session yesterday with various trainers spruiking their RTO's the trainer for the course I needed was like a used car salesman and was almost threatening me that if I didn't sign up on the day I'd probably miss out on the rest of my life. Slight exaggeration but for someone with anxiety I couldn't leave fast enough. I'll be speaking with my job  coach about it just to give some feedback. 

My other worry is that it's full time for 10 weeks and I can't afford to not work full time.

Again, thank you. I wish I was enrolling in your course!

@ENKELI oh I am so sorry to hear that you had that experience and yes I would be mentioning it to your job coach.

Have you thought about doing the course online though something like digital tafe and or flexible study options.  I worked fulltime and was able to go to TAFE at night as some campus do run night classes.

TAFE digital online is quite flexible and you may be able to do your course virtually at your own pace, they do run day and night sessions. You can still access all the student facilities regardless if you attend virtually or in person. 

I am enrolled fulltime as well but class only runs 2 days a week so it may still be possible say if you can do digital or night classes to complete the course around work depending on how your job hours are 😊

Hey @Minkie-Rose , 

Thanks for sharing. It's certainly so important to remember the privileges and honour to be able to continue learning. 

I also have a real drive to be learning everyday. I find it is very satisfying... and it doesn't just relate to studies. It can be learning about anything!

@ENKELI  just wanted to check in and see how you are doing? 🤗

@HelloKitty1981 hi and thanks sweetie 😘 

I'm good, taking a break from the forums while I am dealing with my dad in hospital- he has COPD and contracted a bad case of the flu. My aunt, his sister is also going through stage cancer so I need to.fo us on that for now.

I'm looking at doing a business admin online course through TAFE  but waiting on dad in case I have to fly over to NSW to be with him.

Take care and thanks for thinking of me x

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance