Skip to main content

Forums

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Diamond
Senior Contributor

Decision time

I have had an interesting couple of days and it's going to get more interesting!
So crisis team came to the house last night! My son was furious at me saying I am a deceitful person I didn't tell him there coming!
they spoke with him spoke with me and he politely told them he doesn't want them to go over anymore!
The diagnosis bi-polar affective disorder!
Today a psychiatrist visited and had a long long talk with my son where my son got agitated and angry with me in front of them called me deceitful accusing me of wanting to ruin his future!
All good anyhow diagnosis early psychosis so next step might invonlunteer hospitalization for treatment!
I am freaking out! But it's not about me and how awful I feel scared, worried,anxious!
It comes down to my sons mental health so I expressed my fear to the team and that m worried about the negative affect on my son!
They will continue to come and hopefully establish some trust and provide him with options either take medicine and accept help or he will need to b admitted to hospital!
The dr said from this point it's his decision as wats best medically for my son which I must admit I loved hearing because to b honest I can't make that decision!
So not sleeping much these days and anxious about the future! But hopeful so I wil need ur support guys for the next stage there will b a lot of Thot sharing to feel better:) so thank u in advance;)
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Decision time

Hi @Diamond,

It's lovely to have you here on the forums.

It sounds like you are going through a very difficult time trying to support your son with a recent diangosis and also trying to process this and navigate a sometime complex and overwhelming healthcare system. It's good that you have been able to engage the crisis team and psychiatrist, and they have been able to provide you and your son with some immediate guidance and support around your son's mental health. You say that 'this is not about me' and this is a very familiar refrain from carers (particularly parents) who are caring for a child with MI. But of course this has an enormous impact on you, and the feelings of anxiety, stress and fear about the future you express are completely normal. Do you have support around you, for YOU?

Mind Australia have a wonderful family and carers support service, including a helpline where you can discuss your situation and receive advice and support.

Please let us know how you are travelling.

Take care,

2or3thingsiknow

Hi @2or3thingsIknow thank u for ur support:)
Crisis team r back tonite to give my son the option of agreeing to accept help and take medicine or hospital admission! The sooner the better for him instead of going back and forth!
I am very anxious about his reaction! My younger daughter will b out of the house so she doesn't get upset with wats happening!
My son doesn't know there coming! I feel sooo bad for that because he already believes that m deceiving him:(
I am terrified honestly:(

Hello @Diamond

It is over 2 years that I went through a similar situation with my son.  We are surviving, and sometimes even thriving, though I will never underestimate the impact of a serious psychotic episode on him during early adulthood (he was 21). He now is medication compliant and has not had a recurrence.  We can relate about the experience .. a little .. although I dont push it.

How old is your son?

Glad you managed to have daughter out of the house.  It can be so complicated and tramatic for everyone.  My little sister never properly processed watching similar situations with my brother (previous generation.)

I can only encourage you to hold fast to your love for your son, regardless of the appearance of trust and good rapport.

The 6 months when it happened were among the worst in my life.  My son also had also felt very threatened about diagnoses and I was afraid to lose his trust.  In a way it is easier for me as I only have him and myself and our 2 male cats in the house.  We have lived like that for 15 years, so we are clear about most triggers.

This week my son and I have going through a cat doctoring period.  It was generated by some local feral/s.  Both of our cats were wounded and I needed to bathe them in salt water and give them antibiotics twice per day.  I have neck injuries so cannot manage much struggling so my son realised I would need his help to manage. The upshot of why am sharing this is that after a week of doing this .. my son came to the realisation that sometimes the carer (in this case he and I) know better. I have not made the connection between these different incidents, but one day I hope he understands...

If we fumbled with the cats and didnt co-ordinate properly, the pills didnt go down their throats and everything was much longer and much more traumatic for the cats because we had to restrain them and try again. He and I (I am not much good at this type of thing) really learned the value of firmly and kindly with true loving authority.

Good luck and be patient with yourself and your son.

Hi @Diamond

I hope it all went okay.

Let me know if there's anything we can do.

Nik

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance