Skip to main content

Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

BryanaCamp
Senior Contributor

The centre cannot hold: My journey through madness by Elyn R. Saks

Has anyone read this? I'm feeling very isolated & fed up with my schizophrenia so would like to read this bio as I think it will be a comfort. But I can't find a cheap copy as Amazon won't ship used copies to Australia, only new copies $26.00.

I don't want to spend that much. I work in libraries so trust me, I've scoured evey library in Victoria for a free copy, no dice.

Just wondering if anyone has read it & found it a good read? if it's worth $26.

Elyn Saks is a success by any measure: she's an endowed professor at the prestigious University of Southern California Gould School of Law. She has managed to achieve this in spite of being diagnosed as schizophrenic and given a "grave" prognosis—and suffering the effects of her illness throughout her life.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: The centre cannot hold: My journey through madness by Elyn R. Saks

HI @BryanaCamp , I had a quick look for it.  I haven't read it, but, it seems to have all pretty favourable reviews.  The only thing I can suggest is maybe getting it as an ebook as its around $20. It's on google play/books.  Not quite the same as a real book, but, at least you don't have to pay postage and you should be able to get it right away.

Hi BryanaCamp

I'm sorry but i can't help you in obtaining a copy of this book, but when you have obtained one and finished your read it would be great to hear from you about your opinion on the book.

Cheers

CKS

Hi @BryanaCamp 

I found this on book depository free shipping 324FEF39-EE94-49CE-897A-CABEB5131BF6.png

Oops it’s A$22.68 

https://www.bookdepository.com/search?searchTerm=The+centre+cannot+hold%3A+My+journey+through+madnes...

@Teej   I just looked on booktopia, I went as far as the checkout to see if it’s free shipping, they were charging 7.50 for postage - and I already have an account.  I think I have always been charged shipping with this company but generally the book themselves are a lot cheaper

@BryanaCampI just read a quote from her after reading your post that was nice to hear "the humanity we all share is more important than the mental illness we may not". Sounds like a good read

@BryanaCamp
I also would be interested in reading this.!
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance