Skip to main content

Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: In a jam, pickled, frozen, well preserved and other culinary triumphs

Yikes @greenpea   my freezer is bigger than my fridge. Have always immediately frozen left overs or meals/ soups in individual serving sizes as we find we don't have so much waste that way.

@Former-Member  yes I miss my old fridge but the new one is fine even without the freezer. I just have a giggle when I say to people I dont have a freezer 😄 Oh well no icecream for us.

@Salma 

This is a cooking discussion thread where we tend to talk about preserving, bulk cooking and the like or to mention a culinary sucess we are feeling just a little chuffed about 😁.

After buying some individual fruit in jelly snacks Sis has taken to DIY reusing the containers which she sits in a muffin tin for stability whilst setting the contents. When ready, she tops them with glad wrap and puts them in a cupcake container in the fridge ready for use. 

that sounds like a good idea @Former-Member Smiley Very Happy

Have been slowly getting better at making larger batches of food and freezing into portion sizes in an endeavour to help with fiscal management by getting the larger/ cheaper packs of meat. This last week I was able to freeze some fried rice and spaghetti Bolognese

We were doing really well with our grocery budget until Mr Darcy became unwell and we got the two hounds. I am sure though that with a bit more planning, we can reduce expenses but still cater to Mr Darcy's new dietary requirements without compromise of the joy he has in eating well.  

@Former-Member @Shaz51 @greenpea @Smc 

omg just found this thread.

I freeze, dry, pickle and can things from the garden. I batch cook for the freezer the weekend the bulk meat delivery arrives.

Kinda sorta borderline self sufficient at mine, although when Mr S's mental health takes up too much of my energy we sometimes have to buy our soap and yoghurt.

Delighted to share recipes and tips with my Sane friends.

I have a foolproof biscuit recipe that I make up a huge batch of then keep in the fridge to bake a tray at a time when we need them fresh.

xoxo

@SJT63  Hey SJT63 I used to make my own yoghurt by hand and place it in the sun to set. It was delicious 🙂

wow and way to go my @greenpea@SJT63 Heart

@eth@Smc , @Former-Member 

Apart from some strawberry ice-cream and strawberry jam from home grown berries, I haven't done any preserving but at least once a week I try and cook something in bulk to freeze in individual portions for later use. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance