Skip to main content

Forums

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

HOT
Casual Contributor

Has anyone tried hypnotherapy? I’m at my wits end

Hello has anyone tried hypnotherapy for extremely debilitating anxiety and very low self esteem and worthlessness issues. I'm barely able to function and it gets worse every day. I use to have my good days but I have been this way for 3yrs now and I don't want to live like this. I have been on so many meds, been to psychs, counsellors, self help books/podcasts. I just can't take it any longer. 

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Has anyone tried hypnotherapy? I’m at my wits end

Hi @HOT ,

I am feeling a bit concerned with so much going on for you right now and the intensity of the feelings you've expressed, I'm just letting you know I'm going to drop you an email now and we are all here to support you. Thanks so much for coming to the SANE forums and sharing so courageously, we are very glad you are here.

Kindest regards,

Otter

I know that place.

Just keep hanging in there. I have struggled my whole life and I am 52. I went to the doctor today and got a letter so I could go to hospital before I did something drastic. I will be your friend and lift you up.

Hi @HOT 

It sounds as if you have reached the lowest of low points and this is actually a good place because it means you have no where to go but up - and I am so glad you have reached out here and I would like to take this chance to welcome you to the forum

I have done something called Cathartic Hypnotherapy - this takes a huge commitment but it was worth it. I was encouraged to yell at my mother - of course - she wasn't there - He practised from his home. I don't know what his neighbours thought but that was not my problem

It worked - over time I got over my anger - and even after my sessions with this man ceased I was able to understand things and self-settle - and I can also hypnotise myself now

I don't know if this therapy helps with feelings of self-worth - or the lack of it - I don't know if it helps with despression. It certainly helps with anxiety, anger and fear.

You can only try - possibly it's a case of can you afford it - we get 10 subsidized sessions with a psychologist a year and that's not much - 

I wish you the best with it - it sounds that right now you can't get any worse and you are totally fed up with your situation - it sounds like the right time to reach out and grasp at an opporunity and hold onto it with both hands

WTG

Dec

Thank you, @Z67  really appreciate it. I hope you are feeling a bit better 😞 

Hi @Owlunar i'm glad to hear it worked somewhat for you. I have a Drs app on Friday to get yet another mental health plan and booked with the psychologist next week for the hypnotherapy, it is called something different to the one you mentioned so I will have to read up on them both. I have severe anxiety but it is mainly caused by my low self worth. Plus managing it all on top of my boss pressuring me to work from home at the moment is really stressful. But she wouldn't understand. 

Sorry @Otter for the delay in getting back to you. I didn't realise how down I really sound. I wouldn't hurt myself. I'm home with my 2 children. I don't want to live in the fact I can't function. My children are completely safe and old enough to care for themselves and they are not aware of anything. I hold myself together too much sometimes to appear like all is fine when it is completely the opposite. I just can't look after myself in the way of showering or caring about anything right now but I am going to the Drs on Friday and I'm safe. Thank you for caring 🙂

@HOT hello- yes! After trying hypnobirth cd's when pregnant with my daughter & being hypnotised once by a doula , during which she worked on anxiety & asked how long I would like the birth to last for- whilst I was under- I said 5 hours jokingly- it turned out it was five hours exactly from start to finish giving birth to my daughter! 😳 & listening to my hypnobirth cd's during delivery- I was so calm & centred!
I was put on medication during late stages of pregnancy because I was suffering anxiety so severely as a result of not having my daughter father be present at the birth-& having no other support person at all except my mother who was a life long narcissistic abusive parent- so having her in the delivery room was causing me so much stress & anxiety but I also needed her there -the result I had was amazing.
That after my daughter was born I went on to have hypnotherapy sessions with a man & he also gave me a cd to listen to every night. I couldn't leave the house at this stage alone due to agorophbia & severe anxiety cptsd postnatal depression- I couldn't get into the mother & baby unit at the hospital to get the help I needed I was so debilitated- with my hypnosis sessions it helped me so much to the point I could leave the house alone, join groups, sit in them AND speak- it was amazing. It really does work!

@Serenity1 That is soo awesome to hear you had help. I can't imagine how that would of felt. My mum is the worst and it is giving me anxiety imagining how hard that would of been. Thank you so much for sharing. I'm getting so excited at the thought of something finally helping me!! Thank you again 💗

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance